2008 UK Go Challenge Report
- In the 2008 UK Go Challenge there were 10 school and club heats
competing for the new top prize - the cool Nihon Ki-in (Japanese
Go Association) phone strap - what the best dressed mobiles are wearing!
- The rules were slightly different this year; we used "pass stones" and a few other small
changes in line with the BGA's adoption of AGA Rules.
- The finals were in Cambridge again, at Milton Community Centre on Sunday 06/07/08.
42 of the best players from 10 school heats and other youngsters tookpart.
U18 Boys - Matthew Hathrell (Finham Park School, Coventry)
U16 Boys - Hai Xia (King Edward VI, Aston)
U14 Boys - Ismael Mustafa (King Edward VI, Aston)
U12 Boys - Stewart Smith (King Edward VI, Aston)
U10 Boys - Thomas Danes (Cambridge)
U16 Girls - Cher Bachar (Ruislip)
U12 Girls - Danielle Ward (Cambridge)
U10 Girls - Sijia Yao (Milton, Cambridge)
U8 Girls - Roella Smith (Milton, Cambridge)
Overall place winners:
1st - Matthew Hathrell
2nd - Hai Xia
3rd - Stewart Smith
Top Boy: Matthew Hathrell
Top Girl: Cher Bachar
On 5/6: Tung Nguyen, Jun Hoe Ahn, Renzhi Zhou.
Champion School - Aston
Champion Primary School - Milton (beat London Meed, Burgess Hill 2-1)
All section winners also got a framed certificate showing their achievement and some nice prizes.
Owen Walker got the puzzle-solving prize and Ellie Ripley-Duggan got the
fighting spirit prize. Cambridge beat Aston in a friendly match.
- The Milton Primary School heat had 39 players in total. First was Aoife McCaul (winner for the third year running)
with 5 straight wins. Second was Roella Smith, third was Bridget Johnson. There were 12 other qualifiers:
Thomas Danes, Sijia Yao, Stephenie Purvis, Yvonne Winterborn, Zoe Green, Renzhi Zhou, Ellie Harris,
Phillip Reid, Isis de Chastelain, Molly Hooton, Thomas Seekings and Gavin Winterborn.
- The St Laurence's School heat had 7 players. First was Daniel Edwards with 5 straight wins.
There were four other qualifiers: Sophie O'Sullivan, Kelda Smith, Isabelle Woodford and James Golding.
- The Cambridge Junior Chess & Go Club heat had 28 players (and the most
players stronger than 25k that they have ever had in the club).
The results were: 1. Owen Walker 13pts, 2. Thomas Danes 13pts,
3. Ashley Stewart 11pts, 4. Peran Truscott 11pts,
5= Danielle Ward, Roella Smith, David Robson 10pts,
8= Arnold Chui, Langdon Truscott, Oliver Hsieh, Oliver Stewart, Oliver Howard 9pts,
13= Samuel Juniper, Robin Gerlach 8pts.
Arnold and Danielle would have done even better if they had not had to miss
some weeks (Arnold was doing exams and Danielle had to miss one week due to
a play at school).
- Woodley made their heat the Novices at the Bracknell Tournament to allow others to join in.
Clear winner was Oscar Selby from Epsom who is 5.
- At Aston the winner was Pheonix Hai Xia who won all 5 games and there were 20 other qualifiers:
Mazhar Warraich, Hamzah Reta, Stewart Smith, David Jung, Jun Ho An 13 pts, Josh Domlan, John Perkins,
Jack Drury, Ismail Mustafa, Duncan Frost, Daniel Karandikar 11 pts, Sam Muxlow, Ravinder Heyer,
Adam Ramzaan, Ocean Ho Pyung, Ibraheem Hussain, Huw Talis, Calum Healey, Michael Burclacu and
Joseph Zolna 9 pts.