14. Data Protection and Publicity
Policy approved 22nd November 2009.
- The BGA acknowledges that it is subject to the Data Protection Act 1998.
- The BGA understands that it is exempt from registering with the Information Commissioner’s Office.
- The BGA keeps details of names, addresses, telephone numbers, email addresses and Go strengths on a computer database. This data is kept secure, is not divulged outside the BGA (except as required by law) and is only available on a need-to know basis.
- The BGA may divulge your contact details to other members for the purpose of enabling members to play Go and to encourage the formation of new Go clubs. Members may opt out of allowing their contact details to be shared by notifying the Membership Secretary accordingly.
- Personal data is deleted:-
- When a member specifically requests it or
- Within 18 months of a member failing to renew their annual subscription.
- The BGA runs email groups, and the list of email addresses is kept secure, is not divulged outside the BGA (except as required by law) and is only available on a need-to know basis. However, your email address will be visible to other members of the group if you make postings.
- Tournaments: The BGA publishes the results of tournaments on the Internet, and by entering a tournament players agree to this. Some tournaments may publish a list of entrants in advance, but entrants should have the opportunity to opt out of this.