Here is a list of references to or articles about Go that have appeared in the Media in the UK. Articles prior to 2000 are here.
Items labelled "*" are not currently in the BGA's collection. Some of the names of local papers may be incorrect.
- 26/09/15 Guardian * Go in article on 105 year-old Japanese runner
- 27/03/15 Guardian * Go in obituary of John Renbourn
- 04/09/13 Financial Times * Games we play make us better at work
- 08/12/12 Times * weichi in definition quiz
- 24/04/11 Observer * Review of "Satori" by Don Winslow
- 23/03/11 Guardian * picture of LSE Go Club stand in article on overseas students
- 06/08/10 Guardian - Computer programs to get going with Go (letters)
- 03/08/10 Guardian * Computer programs to get going with Go
- 23/05/09 Times - Casio's Kazuo Kashio on golf and Go
- 30/04/09 Guardian - "Go, going, gone?" (computer Go)
- 10/04/09 Daily Telegraph * Obituary of Prof Jack Good
- 19/10/08 Sunday Telegraph * "When crowds went mental over sports of thought" WMSG
- 27/03/08 Times * "The Go Master" film review
- 27/08/07 Guardian - "This time it's personal" report on MSO featuring Go
- 29/06/07 Times - "Why computers can't surpass Go and collect $1 million"
- 26/08/06 Daily Telegraph - Novel of the week: "The Master of Go"
- 10/08/06 Guardian - Letters from Geoff Kaniuk, Peter and Sheila Wendes,
John Horsfield-Bradbury in Technology section
- 03/08/06 Guardian - Computers just can't seem to get past Go
- 07/12/05 Scotsman * Photograph of Peter Wendes Go Workshop
- 24/10/05 Daily Telegraph * Obituary of Arman the Artist
- 08/05/05 Observer - Kawabata's Master of Go 11th best ever sport book in sport supplement listing
- 05/05 Guardian Sport - Kawabata's Master of Go 11th best ever sport book in sport supplement listing
- 08/02/05 Guardian - picture of LSE Go Club stand on front of Education section
- 26/06/04 Guardian * Review of Girl Who Played Go (paperback edition)
- 01/06/03 Observer * Review of Girl Who Played Go "A bit of a Chinese Zhivago"
- 24/05/03 Guardian - Review of Girl Who Played Go "Rules of the Game"
- 24/10/02 Guardian - David Levy about computer Go "Do Not Pass Go"
- 22/03/02 Guardian - Chris Brasted reader's letter
- 15/01/02 Daily Express - report on Kisei by Beachcomber
- 19/08/00 Guardian - Report on Liao Xingwen's visit to MSO "Go Getter"
- 18/08/00 Times - Report on Liao Xingwen's visit to MSO "It's All Go for Chinese Prodigy"
- 05/15 Focus (BBC) * Small article on Go and computers
- 12/05/14 Wired * "The Mystery of Go, the Ancient Game That Computers Still Can't Win"
- 26/10/13 Economist - Picture of Go in park in article about Korea
- 11/2012 Linux User & Developer 119 * four page article on Go and AI research
- 2012 Make: Vol 28 * Go Twitch - description of Radka Haneckova's livewire Goban
- 22/11/11 Ariel (BBC) - Alison Bexfield at IAPGC
- 09/11/11 Private Eye - Go mentioned in article on mind sports
- 2011 The Bloxhamist - Report on Go Club/BYGC in Bloxham School magazine
- 21/05/11 Economist * No Go
on Kissinger and China
- 08/05/10 Daily Mail Weekend - "Why Go?" (review of radio programme with photo)
- 08/05/10 Guardian The Guide * review of radio programme "Why Go?"
- 20/01/10 Private Eye * "In the City" about John Bender refering to Go as hardcore Chess
- 14/02/09 New Scientist * "Computers conquer the final frontier in board games"
- 13-2009 Sublime - "Pure Intelligence"
- 25/10/08 Ariel (BBC) * WMSG results
- 11/10/08 Ariel (BBC) - "It's All Go for Alison" (WMSG)
- 29/08/07 Time Out (London) * half page on Go in sport section (page 118)
- 06/2007 Scientific American - "Silicon Smackdown" New Go algorythm aims to depose humans
- 27/01/07 The Economist - Winning Ways about Go and AI
- 01/2007 EuroBiz * Ready, Set, Go about Chinese importers
- 08/2006 MindGames - answer to quiz question
- 14/10/05 TES Teacher - "Go for It"
- 08/01/05 The Economist - "Do not pass Go" Letter from Stephen Bashforth
- 18/12/04 The Economist - "The astonishing game of Go"
- 12/2004 The Teacher -
"Go-Getters" article by France Ellul
- 21/11/04 TES * Picture from Leicester workshop
- 12/2004 Hampshire View - "It's all Go" Peter Wendes
- ??/2004 The Teacher *
"Go for It!" article by France Ellul
- 2003 Education Yearbook - "It's all GO at Wycombe Grange" article by France Ellul
- 12/2003 National Geographic - mention in article on Samurai
- 11/2003 Guiding - page on capture go "Wei Qi!"
- 11/10/03 Spectator - article "Going Gone"
- 26/09/03 TES Teacher - "Go for Thinking Skill" letter from france Ellul
- 01/2003 Aquila - Go, Go, Go!
- 13/04/02 New Scientist - article on Mick Reiss "Go For It"
- 11/09/14 Stevenage Comet - The place to Go if you want to learn how to play (Learn Go Week)
- 21/05/14 Welwyn Hatfield Times - All systems Go! (Pair Go Tournament Report)
- 30/04/14 Welwyn Hatfield Times - It's all Go down at the pub (Tournament Report)
- 05/03/14 Bognor Regis Observer/View - It was all Go at Tournament (EYGC Report)
- 05/02/14 Stockport Express - Go at Cheadle Hulme School in piece on Chinese New Year
- 04/01/14 Maidenhead Adverstiser *
Board-game enthusiasts will go head-to-head in annual Go tournament
- 05/06/13 West Sussex Gazette - Mind Sport Competition (Arundel Tournament)
- 02/04/13 Stratford-upon-Avon Herald/Midweek * Best in the West when it comes to go
- 19/01/13 Oxford Mail * "All systems Go as players face off across board"
- 28/01/10 Maidenhead Advertiser - "It's all Go at battle of the brains" (Maidenhead Tournament)
- 21/01/10 Maidenhead Advertiser - "It'll be all Go at brainpower tournament" (Maidenhead Tournament)
- 16/04/09 Maidenhead Advertiser - "All a-board and set to go Go at tournament" (Thames Valley Team Tournament)
- 22/01/09 Maidenhead Advertiser - "It's all Go in battle of the brains" (Maidenhead Tournament)
- 16/10/08 Epsom Guardian - Women's Team success at WMSG
- 15/10/08 Border Telegraph - "Go mad in Beijing" - WMSG
- 09/10/08 Littlehampton Gazette - "It's all Go for Sue in latest Beijing Games" - WMSG
- 08/10/08 Border Telegraph - "All in the Mind as Ron and Co have Go in Beijing" - WMSG
- 03/10/08 Sussex Courier - "Mind game ace competes in first international test" - WMSG
- 02/10/08 Sevenoaks Chronicle - "Mind games are all go for family" - WMSG
- 10/08 Various * Reports on players at World Mind Sports Games
- 25/04/08 Oxford Star - "Go on, give it a Go, say fans of game" (Harry Fearnley)
- 22/04/08 Oxford Times - "Ancient Game Still Going Strong" (Harry Fearnley)
- 24/01/08 Maidenhead Advertiser - "All Go at annual tournament" (Maidenhead Tournament)
- 12/04/07 Maidenhead Advertiser - "Go is black and white" (Thames Valley Team Tournament)
- 22/02/07 Chester Standard - "Chess and Go Championships" (Cheshire Tournament)
- 26/01/07 Slough Express - "Go: A good reason to come and play" (Maidenhead Tournament)
- 25/01/07 Maidenhead Advertiser - "Let battle of the brains begin" (Maidenhead Tournament)
- 14/12/06 Epsom Guardian - "An Insider's Guide to Go"
- 18/08/06 Manx Independent - "Ancient Go game visits Manx shores"
- 29/05/06 The Courier, Dundee * "Kept on the Go at Championships" (Scottish Open)
- 29/04/05 Maidenhead Advertiser - "Germans Go for European victory" (European Pair Go)
- 15/03/05 Western Morning News - "Go to summer camp and learn Go"
- 01/02/05 Isle of Man Examiner - "Pupils Go for it and win" (Jurby team after BYGC)
- 20/01/05 Milton Keynes Citizen Go - "Chance to have a Go!" (Bletchley Park)
- 08/11/04 Leicester Mercury - "Game could turn youngsters into Go-getters" (Leicester workshop)
- ??/02/04 Cambridge News - "Champ sets his sights on Europe" (William Brooks)
- 23/01/04 Maidenhead Advertiser - "Li lauches counterattack" (Maidenhead Tournament)
- 24/01/03 Maidenhead Advertiser - "Sit down and go in a battle of tactics and skilful moves" Maidenhead Tournament
- 03/2003 Portsmouth Post - "It's all go for Pompey School Kids"
- 13/11/02 Basildon Echo - "Let's Go: Martial Art in Ancient Game"
- 19/07/02 The Comet (Letchworth) * "All go for ancient board game"
- 25/01/02 Maidenhead Advertiser - "All systems are Go in battle" (Maidenhead Tournament)
- 09/01/02 Oxford Times - "It's all GO for pupils" (NHK TV at Fitzharrys)
- 10/01/02 Oxford Star - "Pupils GO on TV" (NHK TV at Fitzharrys)
- 10/01/02 Abingdon Herald - "Ancient board game under the spotlight" (NHK TV at Fitzharrys)
- 26/01/01 Maidenhead Advertiser - "Go-ing out on manoeuvres" (Maidenhead Tournament)
- 23/11/00 Cambridge Evening News - "Winners show they know their Go" (Small board tournament)
- 27/01/00 Maidenhead Advertiser - "Young Guns Go For It" (Maidenhead Tournament)
- 02/2004 On Japan (Embassy Newsletter) - picture of Francis Roads teaching Japan Society
- 09/2003 On Japan (Embassy Newsletter) - "Where to play Go and Shogi"
- 29/01/02 On Japan (Embassy Newsletter) - Kisei Match report
- 24/01/02 Nichi-Ei - Report on Kisei Kid's event
- 16/01/02 Yomiuri Shimbun - Report on Kisei game
- 01/01/02 Nichi-Ei - Report on Kisei
- 01/01/02 Yomiuri Shimbun - Report on Kisei
- 01/2002 Big Ben (Nippon Club) - Report on visit of pros for Kisei
- 16/01/02 Yomisat - Report on Kisei
- 09/11/05 Sankei Shimbun (Japanese) - report on Go display at Imperial War Museum
- 12/08/00 Barnim Echo (Germany) - Mr Go Aus London (T.Mark Hall)
- 03/04/00 Irish Times - Picture of Saijo (reported with wrong name and later corrected)
- 06/05/14 BBC Radio 2 - Story on "Today" on Chinese power struggles featuring an analyst laying Go stones out
- 04/04/13 BBC Radio Coventry & Warwickshire * Michael Redmond visit (Matthew Macfadyen interviewed by Vic Minett)
- 06/03/13 BBC Radio 2 * Mark Radcliffe on The Folk Show talked to Billy Connolly about Bert Jansch, who played Go with John Renbourn between takes of the biopic "Accoustic Routes"
- 23/10/12 BBC Radio Leicester * KPMC (Toby Manning interviewed by Ben Jackson)
- 15/05/10 BBC Radio 4 - "Why Go?"
(30 minute documentary on Go)
- 23/04/08 BBC Radio 4 * "The Material World" (Prof Rosalind Picard said programming Go was
a piece of cake compared with computers reading emotional information)
- 03/10/08 BBC Radio Five Live Breakfast -
World Mind Sports Games (Toby Manning)
- 30/09/08 BBC Radio Leicester * World Mind Sports Games (Toby Manning interviewed by Tony Wadsworth)
- 10/08 BBC Radio Hereford and Worcester * World Mind Sports Games (Toby Manning)
- 07/03/08 BBC Radio Oxford - Harry Fearnley interview on Jo Thoenes show
- 09/01/08 BBC Radio 2 - Mark Radcliffe and Stuart Maconie mention Go and Othello
- 15/12/05 SOAS Radio * Interview with Peter Wendes
- 07/12/04 BBC Radio 4 "In Touch" - visual impared unit at Crown Wood School, Greenwich
- 20/07/04 BBC World Service "Outlook" - Interview with Francis Roads
- 10/07/03 BBC Radio Solent - Interview with Yuki Shigeno
- 28/12/01 BBC Radio London * Tony Atkins interviewed at London Open by Jim Wheble
Television - News and Documentary
- 06/05/14 BBC 1 - Story on News at Ten on Chinese power struggles featuring an analyst teaching the reporter Go
- 09/07/13 BBC News - "What's really going on with the yuan?" - Go played in Chinese park with US and Chinese flag stones
- 08/07/13 BBC4 - "Secret Knowledge: 4 Walter Scott's Castle" showed the Go scene on
the Chinese wallpaper at Abbotsford
- 02/07/13 Channel 4 "Child Genius" - Oscar Selby visiting Oxford Tournament and the BYGC at Aston, playing various youngsters and winning prize from Tony Atkins
- 18/05/13 BBC News - "German boat becomes innovation hub" - Go lessons seen at technology festival
- 30/10/12 BBC1 "Andrew Marr's History of the World" - modern day Chinese play Go on a street
- 10/02/11 Five "Justin Lee Collins Turning Japanese" - Go on activity poster at old people's centre
- 19/01/11 Channel 4 News - Old men of China playing Go "traditional game of strategy
and patience" in street scene
- 09/12/10 (repeated 17/12/10) BBC4 "My Father, the Bomb and Me" - pictures of Jacob Bronowski playing Go with his then young daughters
- 15/03/10 BBC Alba "An La" - Report on Skye Tournament (in Scottish Gaelic)
- 18/02/10 BBC2 "Newsnight"- Go game graphics used and Go Board shown to
illustrate the US-Chinese relations "like cautious players on a Weiqi board"
- 14/12/09 BBC4 "Games Britannia" - few frames from two Go games shown
- 07/12/09 BBC4 "Games Britannia" - Go mat used to play different game
- 04/06/07 (repeated May 2008) Five "Paul Merton in China" - glimpse of Go game in a Chengdu teahouse garden
- 19/12/04 Channel 4 "What We Still Don't Know" - Conway's Life and clips of Japanese Go Club
- 24/04/04 (repeated 29/04/04) BBC3 "Outrageous Fortunes" * Reporter Libby Potter learnt Go in a
Japanese Go Club whilst searching for the head of Nintendo who was claimed to be 6 dan but elusive
- 11/03/03 BBC2 "Meades Eat"s * reference to staking Chinese chefs on Go games
- 31/07/02 BBC News24/World - report on Hikaru no Go in Japan
"Young Japanese go for Go"
- 19/08/00 Sky News * report from MSO including Go title match and Liao Xingwen
Television - Quiz Shows
- 11/05/15 BBC2 "Eggheads" - Question on Sinquefield Cup being Backgammon, Chess or Go
- 26/09/14 BBC2 "Mastermind" - Question about ancient Chinese game known by 2-letter Japanese name
- 03/02/14 ITV1 "The Chase" - Question about game board sizes (Go/Chess/Scrabble)
- 27/01/14 BBC2 "University Challenge" - Question about the game in Kawabata's "Meijin"
- 05/08/13 BBC4 "Only Connect" - Question linking "Go: Honinbo Shusaku" and others
- 22/10/12 BBC2 "University Challenge" - Question about Go, answered by former youth Go player
- 03/10/12 BBC1 "Pointless" - Go pictured in a round on board games
- 30/11/11 BBC2 "Eggheads" - Go the answer to a question, Barry Simmons talked about the origins
- 14/11/11 BBC4 "Only Connect" - Question linking Go, Hex, Kensington, Mastermind
- 05/05/11 - 09/05/11 Channel 4 "Countdown" - Go teacher Tony Atkins contestant
- 22/11/10 BBC4 "Only Connect" - Question linking Shogi=30, Go=361, Reversi=4, Draughts=7
- 16/08/10 BBC2 "University Challenge" - Questions on identifying Go, the Master of Go author and the game named after a Shakespearian tragic hero
- 29/09/09 BBC2 "Eggheads" * Team discussed if Five Field Kono was a spin-off from Go
- 06/05/08 BBC1 "The Weakest Leak" * Question on Go (repeated 15/05/09)
- 24/09/07 BBC2 "University Challenge" - Picture questions on oriental board games, including Go
- 18/04/07 BBC2 "Eggheads" * Contestant mentioned Go being played at the MSO
- 01/12/05 BBC2 "Eggheads" * Possible answer to a games question
- 08/08/05 and 25/09/00 BBC2 "University Challenge" * Questions on Go
- 06/05/05 BBC1 "Have I Got News for You" (repeat 07/05/05 BBC2) - Ian Hislop mentions Go
- 14/10/04 BBC1 "The Weakest Leak" * Question on Go (and also once before)
- Various Channel 4 "15 To 1" * Various Questions on Go
Television - Dramas/Comedy
The following episodes of TV programmes have featured Go and appeared recently on TV in the UK:
- 29/03/08 BBC2 "The Shogun" - Tokogawa Ieyasu plays Go whilst planning and also his generals play
- 03/09/07 BBC2 "Arrested Development" - Annyong and Maeby play Go at end of episode
- 25/08/07 and 07/09/06 Five "Criminal Minds" - suspect had Go game laid out in his room
- 07/03/08 BBC1 21/12/06 BBC1 25/01/10 BBC2 "Diagnosis Murder" - Dr Sloan plays Go with a bodyguard
- 28/02/05 BBC2 "Look Around You" (spoof 80s science show) - 6.5 second clip of Nick Webber on the BGA
stall at a games fair c1980
- 29/02/04 Channel 4 "Enterprise" (Episode "Cogenitor") - game played by Trip and an alien
- 2004 Sky1 "24" (Series 3) - scenes in a seedy LA Go Club and mentions later
- "Ally McBeal" (Episode "Pyramids of the Nile") - game played by Richard and Ling
- "Andromeda" * 3D games in series 1 and a reference in series 4 Episode 18
Television - Movies
The following movies featuring Go have been on TV in the UK:
- "Heaven Knows, Mr. Allison" - two Japanese play Go, later Allison and the Nun try
- "A Beautiful Mind" - some Go scenes featuring John Nash (played by Russell Crowe)
- "Pi" - some Go scenes featuring main character and his old professor
- "Fist of Legend" - two Japanese play Gomoku on a Go ban
- "Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon" - Go ban used as table for tea cups
The EGF has a full list of Go on Film
Last updated Tue Nov 24 2015. If you have any comments, please email the webmaster on web-master AT britgo DOT org.