Newsletter 229 April 2017
Contributions for the Newsletter are always welcome, both from our members and others. We ask that they be Go-related and “newsy". The place for debate and general discussion is currently Gotalk; however, an introduction to a new topic is fine in the Newsletter. Instructions: Please use plain text not file-attachments. Keep it brief, and give web-links and contact details. It's good to include pictures. If they are on the internet, send me the URL. If not, attach the picture files to your email. Send your contribution to firstname.lastname@example.org to arrive by the first day of the month.
Jil Segerman, Newsletter Editor
On the afternoon of the Trigantius Tournament in Cambridge, the Trigantius Novices' was run in one of the other rooms of the University Staff Club.This year there were fifteen players in the tournament, twelve juniors, two parents of junior players, and one organiser of a school Chess and Go club. Twelve of the fifteen are pictured.
The crucial match to decide the winner was between two of the adult players, Pierre Oliviere from Harpenden and Mark Walters from Cambridge. In the end Pierre won by a single point. The top junior players, in joint third place with three wins, were David Baldwin from Letchworth, and Sam Beck, Waylon Gao and Yize Gao, from the local junior club.
European Go Congress 2017
22 July to 6 August in Oberhof, Germany.
Latest updates are on the Congress website
European Go Congress 2018
27 July to 12 August in Pisa, Italy
A long way ahead, but worth noting that there are several deadlines on which the price goes up; the next one being 1st May this year. See Registration tab on the Congress website
Discover Japan Day
Japan Society North West are organising a Discover Japan Day, in Liverpool on 20 May, from 11 am to 4 pm, and the BGA will be demonstrating Go to many families all day. If you're interested in helping us, and you are most welcome, please let Helen or Martin Harvey know, on jm.harvey at ntlworld dot com.
Candidates will be held 29th April - 1st May in West London. Qualifiers will be sent invitations shortly and any enquiries can be sent to the organiser, Matt Marsh (email@example.com)."
Youth Go Residential course
We have now mostly finalised details of the proposed course. It will be at Caythorpe Court in South Lincolnshire, from midday Monday 14th August to early afternoon Wednesday 16th August. The programme will include serious Go study time, with breaks in the afternoon for a wide choice of exciting outdoor activities, from archery to zipwire. Some support may be available from the Castledine-Barnes fund for students who have expensive long-distance travel. Full details will soon be sent to all our Go teachers and to anyone who registers an interest with youth-chair AT britgo.org
Plans for a "London Mind Sports Centre"
Message from Toby Manning, Finance Director of the T Mark Hall Foundation.
As you may know, the T Mark Hall Foundation is discussing the possibility of opening a "London Mind Sports Centre", in cooperation with the Chess community.
We wish to share our thinking with BGA members, and so we are holding a "Discussion Meeting" on Sunday April 30 at the Young Chelsea Bridge Club (West London Go Club) at 18:30 - this will be immediately after day 2 of the Candidates' Tournament, and also after the end of the "Bar-Low". There will be no charge for entry: we hope to serve refreshments.
All BGA members are welcome. For planning purposes it would be helpful if you could let Toby know if you are coming, but this is not essential.
- International Teams Spring Match, Saturday 22nd April, London
- Candidates' Tournament, Saturday 29th April - Monday 1st May, London
- Bar Low, Sunday 30th April, London
- Galway, Saturday 6th May - Sunday 7th May
- Bracknell, Sunday 14th May, Wokingham
- Irish Open Pair Go Championships, Sunday 14th May, Dublin
- Scottish Open, Saturday 27th - Sunday 28th May, Edinburgh
- British Pair Go Championships, Saturday 3rd June, Hatfield
- Durham, Saturday 10th – Sunday 11th June
- Welsh Open, Saturday 24th - Sunday 25th June, Barmouth
- Mindsports Academy youth event (UK Go Challenge Finals), Saturday 8th July, Stoke.
- Belfast, Saturday 22nd and Sunday 23rd July
- European Go Congress, Saturday 22nd July - Sunday 6th August, Oberhof, Germany
- Isle Of Man Go Festival, Sunday 30th July - Friday 4th August
- Arundel, Sunday 13th August
- Youth Boot Camp, provisional, Monday 14th - Wednesday 16th August, Caythorpe Court, South Lincolnshire
- Mind Sports Olympiad, Sunday 20th – Monday 28th August, London
- Three Peaks, Saturday 4th November - Sunday 5th November, Ingleton
- London Open, Thursday 28th – Sunday 31st December
The European Go Federation's Tournament Calendar includes the Major European Tournaments and a World Tournament Calendar
If you have any comments, please email the webmaster on web-master AT britgo DOT org.