American Go Association Rules - Short Guide
This is not a complete Rule Set; it is just a short guide to how to play using the AGA Rules.
For a fuller set of rules see the AGA Summary.
Play as normal apart from:
- When you pass, hand one of your stones to your opponent to add to his or her prisoners.
- Play all dame on the clock failing to do so may cost you points.
- After filling all the dame, instead of passing, you can play inside your own territory to reinforce a weak group. This costs you nothing.
- After two consecutive passes, stop the clock and agree the status of all groups.
- White must pass last. So if Black was the last to pass in step 4, White must then make a third pass and hand over another pass stone.
- When counting territory, remember that eyes in seki do count.
- Playing to repeat the board position in a Triple ko cycle is an illegal move. It is not treated as a Jigo as it would be under the old rules.
Last updated Tue Apr 25 2017. If you have any comments, please email the webmaster on web-master AT britgo DOT org.