History of Go in Britain
British Go History
Go arrived in the UK from Japan over 100 years ago. From 1929 organised play started to develop and the BGA was set up in the 1950s. You can read more about this by following the links below.
- Early British Go History
- Some Articles on Early British and European Go History
- History of the BGA (from 1929)
Each year an annual review is written. Those here from 1991 to 2001 were produced for the "Ranka" yearbook, that was published by the International Go Federation, and earlier reviews are based on the "Years Ago" series from the British Go Journal.
2019 2018 2017 2016 2015 2014 2013 2012 2011 2010
2009 2008 2007 2006 2005 2004 2003 2002 2001 2000
1999 1998 1997 1996 1995 1994 1993 1992 1991 1990
1989 1988 1987 1986 1985 1984 1983 1982 1981 1980
1979 1978 1977 1976 1975 1974 1973 1972 1971 1970
1969 1968 1967 1966 1965
History of various aspects of the organisation of Go in Britain by the BGA.
- Mentions of Go in UK Media (newspapers, television and so on)
- BGA Membership numbers since 1972 (annual statistics)
- BGA Subscription Rates historic comparison
- BGA Officers (historic list since 1968)
- Sponsorship of British Go
- The Grading Committee (history of)
- Go sets that have been sold in UK
History of the major tournaments held regularly in the UK such as the British Open and Championship.
- The British Go Congress (format and location)
- British Schools Team Championship (history of)
- British Championship (history of the Title Match)
- Pair Go in the UK
- London Open
History of some international events held in the UK.
- 10th European Go Congress (held 1966 in London)
- 15th European Go Congress (held 1971 in Bristol)
- 20th European Go Congress (held 1976 in Cambridge)
- 27th European Go Congress (held 1983 in Edinburgh)
- 36th European Go Congress (held 1992 in Canterbury)
- 45th European Go Congress (held 2001 in Dublin)
- Pro Go Player Visits to UK & Ireland (since 1964)
- Kisei Title in London 2002
Hall of Fame
Winners of various events and titles competed for in the UK
- Tournament Winners
- Winners of Non-Current Events
- Current Title Holders
- Junior Champions (Youth and Schools Champions)
- British Trophies (pictures of them)
- Dan Diploma Holders
History and archives of our Journal, Newsletter and Online News Service
If you have any comments, please email the webmaster on web-master AT britgo DOT org.